By doing so the section is contributing effectively in promotion and maintenance of high cane and sugar yield. The core of the work conducted involves the following:
• Evaluation of resistant varieties through intensive screening against diseases, i.e.
smut disease and ratoon stunting disease since this is most effective means of control.
• Prevention of entry of new diseases through rigid quarantine measure. There are
two quarantines for new introducing varieties primary and secondary.
• Production of healthy disease-free seed cane by using the means of eliminating
diseases (hot water treatment and tissue culture).
• Adoption of phytosanitary measure to check diseases spread.
• Involvement of biotechnology in detection and control of diseases.
• Conduction of surveys in the state to monitor diseases for early warning of outbreaks.